Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Baking and Losing Weight

I don't know about you, but I love to bake. People think that losing weight means you are not able to bake, because after all, we like sampling our goodies.

Giving up some of our favorite foods is hard enough without having to give up some of our favorite activities too. 

When I feel the urge to bake but am worried about eating a whole batch of cookies, I look to my fur friends for inspiration. My dogs Louie and Bootsie are always grateful for my love of baking.

I know what you are thinking, "I cant believe she feeds her dogs cookies". Don't worry, the only cookies they get are homemade dog cookies.

Baking dog treats can help get that urge to bake out of your system without having to test your will power.

When baking for your dogs you need to be careful about what ingredients you use. Many recipes on the internet may not be healthy for your dog.

Ingredients that are safe include mint, peanut butter, vegetable and canola oils, oats and oatmeal, whole wheat flower, brewers yeast (which is not a leavening agent), active yeast, and regular white flour. 

Ingredients that are not safe include grapes, chocolate, garlic, and onions.

You should ask your vet or research recipe ingredients before feeding them to your dog.

Also, dogs are not immune to obesity. Many times a single batch of dog biscuits can be too much for one dog to eat. You might need to freeze half or give half to your friends' dogs.

Website with lots of good doggie info: dogtreatrecipes.org


Feel free to post recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment